Friday 4 September 2015

Nigeria's Educational System. See this...



I got to the school around 10:26am.  I saw pupils gathering stones outside. I muttered to myself, ‘What on earth are these big stones needed for?’ Some of these pupils looked really tired and miserable while the others looked hungry, I later got to know some had not taken breakfast and had come to school ‘emptily stomached’ that day. I asked myself, ‘What’s the methodology of teaching hungry pupils?’ I later learnt the teachers were last paid 6 months ago-‘Waithow do they survive and cater for their own families?’ Well, the straw that broke the Carmel’s back was that their promotional examination questions were written on the blackboard for them to answer *DeepSigh*

Now, Nigeria is a great Country. In the Nigeria I was born into, people still laugh and smile. Businesses still boom, ideas still thrive and results still get achieved in My Nigeria. I don’t intend joining the millions that address our weaknesses without applauding our strengths.

However, the educational system, particularly Public Education needs to be paid serious attention to. Quality education for the Youth is a nation’s greatest assurance of a worthy future. I remember discussing with the headmistress of the school I went and asking her whose responsibility it is to take care of children- the government or the parent? She paused and stared into space like my question took her to the depth of her core beliefs. I’ll have to answer that myself.

I’m not ready to debate whose responsibility it is.

What I think;

Abraham Lincoln defined Democracy as government of the people, by the people for the people. If this has been mutually agreed to be true across all cultures, then the government has a principal role to play in making life easy for the people and in making education luxurious, interesting and affordable.  As much as parents should be responsible for their children (I meanwhy bring children into this world without plans for their survival?), I still think that the government is responsible for the people. If education should be 25% of the National budget, then let it be. Incorporate plans, implement policies and yes…. Flush out corruption and its perpetrators.

I still see it. I see nations wondering how Nigeria gets things done. I see people trooping to Nigeria to see how our systems and institutions work. I see a land that flows with so much milk and honey. I see our children compete favourably and lead children from other great countries of the world. I see Nigeria being referred to as a developed country and our economy, one of the leading world economies.

It will happen in my lifetime.

Cheers to the weekend!
Mosimiloluwa.


4 comments:

  1. It will happen in 'our' lifetime. Always optimistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joshua Peters, just wait and watch it happen...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i believe its a collective responsibility, the onus is not on the government alone, the parent and the members of staff of different school has their respective roles to play

    ReplyDelete